Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The time has come

For me to go. So long everyone. Thanks to everyone who has helped to push me out the door. Special shout to Nina BeeDeeKay - my employer, friend, surrogate mother, and ride at 4:30 tomorrow morning to SFO. Big up. Above and beyond. Wait...are you SURE you want to do this? To Wheel Girl bicycle shop on San Pablo between Performance and REI for fantastic advice and an unbreakable aversion to taking my money. (?) Elizabeth pointed out a lot of possibilities for me and gave me a better sense of what to pay attention to on the bike. Plus I kept having to go back so I got a good fill of Stone House olive oil tasting as I blew around town taking care of every last minute thing. Jesse's parents for turning me on to warmshowers.org. I'm sure I'll be singing your praises from a stranger's bathtub someday soon. To everybody who has bought me drinks this week - it has been a well-lubricated send-off.

I will miss
All of you.
I won't miss
The rest of em.
I will miss
Burritos
I won't miss
The taste of smog in my mouth. How can the Bay Area that supposedly has one of the most "conscious," "progressive," "gullible" populations in the country have so many people driving everywhere? When you ride along in traffic and you're scraping the soot off yer tongue with yer teeth you really start to wonder when people are going to stop driving. It's already too late anyways I suppose. (And Priuses are cars.)
I will miss
All the crazies that brave the bullshit and ride cause they wouldn't have it any other way.
I will miss
The comforts of home. Watching a movie in bed before falling asleep - Thanks to Marty for telling me his Netflix password. Ghostbusters was awesome.
I won't miss
Easy access to all my vices, which includes watching Ghostbusters for maybe the fourth time in my life when I'm definitely going to die someday.
I will miss
Being on stage.

It's now 12:30 am and I'm leaving the house at 4:30. Should I just stay up?
Check out my pack job and pics of my first loaded ride up onto Grizzly Peak...People kept assuming I was touring and asking me if I knew where I was going.


1 comment:

  1. this morning i looked out my window and found
    a blue bird singing but there was no harold around...

    actually that was a lie, but i do hear the taco truck every morning and cry a little inside. so you are probably on your third transfer, somewhere over the atlantic now worrying about how well you packed your bicycle since you left ALL THE PACKING SUPPLIES I SET ASIDE FOR YOU HERE! well i am sorry that i couldn't get one last music session in with you, we were recording into the night for two nights in a row and things just had to keep moving. you know how it is, the moving thing. well harold take it easy, and if you can't take it easy take it as easy as you can.
    -blackheart

    ReplyDelete